Prescribed burn at Wilpena Pound
Date posted: 10 Nov. 2020
A prescribed burn is planned at Wilpena Pound over the next two days, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will commence at 2 pm on Wednesday 11 November and is likely to be completed by 7:30 pm on Thursday 12 November 2020.
- The area to be burnt is approximately 300 hectares within Wilpena Pound east of the Tanderra Saddle to Cooinda Camp Track.
- This burn aims to reduce fuels in the area to reduce the likelihood of a bushfire spreading.
- The Ngarri Mudlanha to St Mary Peak track will be closed from the Wilpena campground and at Cooinda camp.
- No public access will be available to the burn area.
The burns will be conducted by the Department for Environment and Water. National Parks and Wildlife Service South Australia’s statewide program of prescribed burns helps limit the spread and intensity of bushfires, protects communities and enhances biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.