Prescribed burn at Upper Sturt
Date posted: 09 Oct 2020
A prescribed burn is planned at Upper Sturt, on private land at Hilltop Drive, on Monday 12 October 2020, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 1pm and is likely to be completed by 8pm on Monday 12 October.
- The area to be burnt is 10.1 hectares located along Hilltop Drive, and will include a portion of the Upper Sturt Council Reserve and four private properties to the west of the reserve.
- The burn is planned to protect the landscape. It will reduce bushfire risk to dwellings along Hilltop Drive and Upper Sturt Road.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on Hilltop Drive, Upper Sturt Road and Pole Road in the days following the burn but it will be patrolled until it is safe.
- The burn is mostly in areas where there are no public tracks. Members of the public are asked to follow the directions of fire crews if entering near the prescribed burn.
The burn will be conducted by the Department for Environment and Water. The objective of prescribed burning is to reduce fuel loads to mitigate the risk of bushfire. This burn is part of a statewide program of prescribed burning planned to protect communities and assets at risk.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.