Prescribed burn in Kyeema Conservation Park
Date posted: 16 Sep 2020
A prescribed burn is planned in Kyeema Conservation Park on Wednesday 16 September 2020, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12:00pm and is likely to be completed by 6:00pm the same day.
- The area to be burnt is 9.2hectares in a section of land immediately north of Woodgate Hill Road in Kyeema Conservation Park
- This is a landscape protection burn to reduce the likelihood of the whole park burning in a single bushfire event.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed in the days following the burn but it will be patrolled until it is safe.
- The section of the Heysen Trail that passes through Kyeema CP will be closed for the duration of the burn and afterwards until it is deemed safe to re-open it. Woodgate Hill Road may be impacted by smoke
The burn will be conducted by the Department for Environment and Water. The objective of prescribed burning is to reduce fuel loads to mitigate the risk of bushfire. This burn is part of a statewide program of prescribed burning planned to protect communities and assets at risk.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.