Prescribed burn at Naracoorte
Date posted: 27 Apr 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for the Naracoorte North Parklands, which is Naracoorte Lucindale Council managed land, in the Lower Limestone Coast, on Wednesday 28 April 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 12 noon and should be complete by 6pm.
- It will affect about 8.8 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is landscape protection burn to reduce the likelihood of the whole parklands burning in a single bushfire event and reduce impact of woody weeds.
- The burn will reduce the risk of bushfire impact on the Naracoorte sporting complexes and Naracoorte North School.
- Walking trails in the parkland will be closed.
- No roads will be closed, however access will be restricted in the area of the burn.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
- Smoke signs will be erected advising of reduced visibility.
The burn will be carried out by DEW, CFS Volunteers and in partnership with Naracoorte Lucindale Council. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.