Struggling with COVID-19 restrictions and need a little mental health and wellbeing boost? Now’s the time to take a virtual visit to some of South Australia’s most beautiful natural environments.
Thanks to a collaboration between the state government and Google you can now take a virtual trek along 126 trails in 30 of South Australia’s national parks.
Park rangers, using Google’s backpack-mounted trekker, spent five months capturing 360-degree imagery for more than 600km of walking trails, park roads, waterways and campgrounds in 30 national parks across SA.
And what better time to view it than now, from the comfort of your lounge room.
To start your virtual tour, open Google Maps on your computer or mobile device and drag and drop ‘Pegman’ on to the trail you want to explore.
Try one of these virtual tours now
Adelaide and Mt Lofty Ranges
- Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty Summit in Cleland National Park
- Koala area in Cleland Wildlife Park
- Lorikeet Loop in Belair National Park
- Ships’ Graveyard Trail in Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary
- Summit Hike in Black Hill Conservation Park
- Three Falls Grand Hike in Morialta Conservation Park
- Glacier Walk in Hallett Cove Conservation Park
- Grand South Para Hike in Para Wirra Conservation Park
- Mai Tappa Circuit Hike in Cobbler Creek Recreation Park
- Pink Gum Loop in Anstey Hill Recreation Park
- Easy As Mountain Bike Trail in O’Halloran Hill Recreation Park
- Seaview Loop in Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
- River Trail in Sturt Gorge Recreation Park
Flinders Ranges and Outback
- Alligator Gorge Circuit Hike in Mount Remarkable National Park
- Brachina Gorge and Bunyeroo Gorge Scenic Drive in Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park
- Wangara Lookout in Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park
- Mundoo Channel, Murray Mouth and Godfreys Landing Kayaking Trails in Coorong National Park
- Cape Buffon Walk in Canunda Conservation Park
- Butterfly walk in Penambol Conservation Park
- Coast Walk in Piccaninnie Ponds Conservation Park
- Canopy Walk in Telford Scrub Conservation Park
- World Heritage Hike in Naracoorte Caves National Park
You’ll also find links to Google Street View imagery on the National Parks and Wildlife Service SA website.
Feeling inspired to visit a national park? Read our story abouthow you can still visit a local park while social distancing, as long as you’re sensible about it.
Main image: Wilpena Pound – Wangara Lookout, Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park