Calling all landlords… Is your rental property pet-friendly? Learn why allowing pets can be a smart move.
About 60 per cent of South Australian households have a pet, which means there’s a growing demand for pet-friendly places to rent.
But allowing renters to have pets generally seems to be the exception rather than the norm.
If you’re a landlord the decision is entirely up to you. But have you got your facts straight before you make the call?
Here are five reasons why you should consider listing your rental as pet-friendly.
- The rental property may lease faster due to higher demand.
- Tenants with pets usually sign longer leases.
- Pet-related damage is not always a reality – research shows there is little if any difference in damages between people with and without pets.
- You can create a pet agreement to outline the owner’s pet responsibilities while at the property.
- Allowing pets is likely to help reduce the number of abandoned pets in South Australia.
For more helpful tips and myth busting facts about the benefits of pet-friendly rentals – specifically aimed at landlords and property owners – check out this handy guide or website.
What’s next for pets?
The new pet-friendly rental resources are one of many changes being made in SA to ensure the welfare of our dogs, cats and other companion animals.
The changes are the most significant to our companion animal management laws in more than 20 years.
Here’s what else is in store:
If you’re interesting in learning more, check out our recent blog about breeding standards in SA.
Like what you just read? There’s plenty more where this came from. Make sure you don’t miss a post by
subscribing to Good Living’s weekly e-news.