Open navigation
Topics > River Murray > Water allocation and carryover

South Australian Private Carryover

Private carryover availability in 2019-20

Private carryover is made available for use in dry years, when the projected minimum opening irrigation allocation is 50 percent or less. Private carryover provides insurance, increasing the volume of water available to water users by up to 20 percent at the beginning of a water year.

Private carryover allocations plus allocations against your entitlement cannot exceed 100 percent.

Because allocations have now reached 100 percent in the 2019-20 water use year, the carryover allocation effectively no longer applies.

Consultation on a revised policy is now underway until Tuesday 10 March 2020. Changes are proposed that would allow eligible carryover volumes to be ‘rolled over’ from one year to the next in a series of dry years. Please visit the YourSAy website to find out more and to provide your feedback. 

South Australian Private Carryover Policy

The 2019 Water Allocation Plan for the River Murray Prescribed Watercourse sets out how private carryover is calculated and who is eligible. Private carryover provides additional flexibility to consumptive users in dry years by allowing for some unused water allocation at the end of one water year to be granted for use in a following dry water year.

Key points about carryover:

  • In its current form, private carryover is a form of insurance that is available to boost allocations in dry years. 
  • Private carryover is a form of insurance that is available to boost allocations in dry years.
  • Private carryover will be announced when minimum opening irrigation allocations in April are 50 per cent or less.
  • When carryover is granted you can carryover any unused water on your account, up to 20 per cent of the volume of Class 3 water access entitlements you hold.
  • You must provide your final water meter reading by 31 July to be eligible for carryover.

Under the existing policy, after carryover has been announced, if conditions improve and allocations increase to 100 per cent, your total allocation (against your entitlements plus carryover allocation) cannot exceed 100 percent. 

The volume of water that can be made available for private carryover is based on how much water is stored in upstream storages for carryover purposes, and how much water was traded into South Australia between 1 April and 30 June in the previous water use year (and remained unused on 30 June).

If there is insufficient water available to meet the total carryover demand, the volume of water granted to an individual will be reduced proportionally.

The provision of private carryover is possible through arrangements in the Murray-Darling Basin Agreement, which allow the South Australian Government to store (defer) water in upstream storages. 

Further information about private carryover is included in this fact sheet.

Click here to view form.