Open navigation
Topics > River Murray > Water allocation and carryover > Private carryover

South Australian Private Carryover

Private Carryover provides additional flexibility to consumptive users in dry years by allowing for some unused water allocation at the end of one water year to be granted for use in a following dry water year. Carryover is likely to only be made available when water availability in the River Murray system is low and continued dry conditions are forecast for the following water year.

The 2017 Water Allocation Plan for the River Murray Prescribed Watercourse includes the private carryover policy, and sets out how private carryover is calculated and who is eligible.

The provision of private carryover is possible through arrangements in the Murray-Darling Basin Agreement, which allow the South Australian Government to store (defer) water in upstream (interstate) storages .

When the Minister announces that carryover will be made available, you will be eligible for private carryover if at the close of business on 30 June you meet the following criteria:

  1. You have South Australian water access entitlement shares in the All Purpose Consumptive Pool (Class 3)
  2. You have unused water allocation available against your eligible water entitlement shares
  3. You provide DEW with your final water meter reading by no later than 31 July. If you do not have a water meter, you must contact DEW by 31 July to determine your underuse.

The maximum volume of private carryover that may be granted is up to 20 per cent of an eligible water access entitlement share.

Further overview information about the carryover policy included in the 2017 Water Allocation Plan for the River Murray Prescribed Watercourse is included in this fact sheet.

You can also discuss carryover, water allocation, water licenses and water trading with the department’s Licensing Unit on (08) 8595 2053.


Click here to view form.