Open navigation

Private Carryover Policy

Private Carryover has been made possible through the adoption of Schedule G of the Murray-Darling Basin Agreement 2008, which provides a Storage Right for South Australian Entitlement Flow in the upstream (interstate) storages.

Carryover aims to provide additional flexibility to consumptive users in dry years by allowing for some unused water allocation at the end of one water year to be granted for use in a following dry water year.

South Australian River Murray water access entitlement holders should refer to the Water Allocation Plan for the River Murray Prescribed Watercourse for detailed information about private carryover.

You can also discuss carryover, water allocation, water licenses and water trading with DEWNR’s Licensing Unit on (08) 8595 2053.

Private carryover in 2018-19

Due to the water resources availability across the Murray-Darling Basin, South Australia’s River Murray water access entitlement holders will receive a 100% water allocation in 2018-19.  As a result, Private Carryover water will not be made available in 2018-19.  Private Carryover is made available for use in dry years. 

This decision is consistent with the old carryover policy, which is now incorporated into the new Water Allocation Plan for the River Murray Prescribed Watercourse (WAP). In the new WAP, Section 5.5.2 Private Carryover, part 55, it states 'in making a determination on whether carryover is to be granted, the Minister shall have regard to information provided by the Murray-Darling Basin Authority (MDBA), and consider only making private carryover available when there is a low likely risk (less than 10% chance) forecast that the water stored for carryover will spill from the storage in which it is held over the remainder of the water year in which carryover is to be granted.'

The MDBA's forecast risk of spill for all the major upstream storage exceeds 10% during the 2018-19 water year.

DEW will continue to explore opportunities to defer additional water for use in future dry years.


Click here to view form.