To become a kangaroo field processor (kangaroo shooter) in South Australia, you must:
- have a permit and comply with all permit conditions
- successfully complete the TAFE SA certificates in Game Meat Field Processing (or equivalent) and Kangaroo Field Processor Firearms Accuracy accreditation
- have a current Firearms Licence, Class B7
- obtain accreditation for the field processing of kangaroos from Biosecurity SA, Food Safety Program, Department for Primary Industries and Regions SA
- have your vehicle tray inspected to verify it meets the Australian Standard for the hygienic processing of kangaroos for human consumption
- attend an interview with staff from the Kangaroo Management Program of the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR).
For further information on accreditation contact Biosecurity SA on:
Phone: (08) 8429 0837
For information about the interview with DEWNR's Kangaroo Management Program, and to arrange an interview, contact DEWNR on:
Phone: (08) 8648 5318
Fax: (08) 8648 5301
Note: Copies of the TAFE SA certificates, firearms licence and drivers licence, together with the accreditation number issued by Biosecurity SA, will need to be presented to DEWNR with your permit application form.
Kangaroo permit applications