Open navigation

Specialist species are those animals that;

  • are considered to be of high status as a result of illegal trading or demand from trade (eg black cockatoos)
  • require special feeding or housing (eg koalas or wombats)
  • are endangered in their natural environment (eg golden-shouldered parrots)
  • require special expertise for handling and security (eg front-fanged venomous snakes).

You must acquire Specialist animals legally - they must be purchased from a licenced fauna dealer or person holding a valid Keep and Sell Permit (Specialist). These animals are fully protected and a permit is required to take any from the wild.

If you apply for a permit to keep and sell Specialist animals, you must prove you have the facilities, knowledge and experience to safely and properly care for that animal.

Unlike a Basic animal, you must have a Keep and Sell Permit (Specialist) to keep one individual animal listed as Specialist. Permit holders may also keep and sell animals included in the Basic lists.

Animals must be kept for a minimum of six months before sale.

Anyone advertising Specialist or Basic animals for sale must include their permit number in the advertisement.

Holders of a Keep and Sell Permit (Specialist) can only sell Specialist animals to other holders of a Keep and Sell Permit who are endorsed for that particular specialist species.

The holder of a Keep and Sell Permit (Specialist) must also maintain a record book and submit two stock returns to the DEW Fauna Permit Unit per year, one at the end of financial year and the other at the end of February.

More information:

The Development Act 1993 (and regulations) and the Local Government Act 1999 (LG Act) allow councils to councils to restrict the species and number of animals a person may keep on their property. It is therefore a good idea that you check with your local council before obtaining an animal as bylaws or restrictions may apply.

Under the LG Act, councils can take action if animals are kept in unhygienic conditions or in a way that can impact on neighbours.

Click here to view form.