The State Government’s Greener Neighbourhoods Grants Program is providing up to $2 million funding over four years to support metropolitan councils to help keep suburban streets green and cool.
Benefits of greening and cooling our neighbourhoods include:
- improved social, health and wellbeing outcomes through connecting communities and being surrounded by nature
- improved biodiversity and environmental outcomes through increased habitat and food supplies for local wildlife
- reduction of stormwater and rainwater runoff through filtering and absorption
- improved air quality and increased carbon sequestration
- increased liveability of neighbourhoods and increased property values
The first round of grants, awarded in November 2019, provided funding for seven projects from six metropolitan councils.
Applications for the second round of grants close at 5pm on Friday, 24 July. Up to $1 million of funding is available in this round.