Healthy Coorong, Healthy Basin is a $70 million commitment to restore a healthy Coorong, announced by the Australian and South Australian Governments in December 2018.
Part of the South Australian Government’s overarching Project Coorong initiative, the Healthy Coorong, Healthy Basin Action Plan outlines the on-ground works, management tools, research, trials and investigations, and other activities between 2019 and 2024 to get the Coorong back on track for a healthy future.
The Action Plan presents a working vision to help restore the Coorong’s health, characterised by healthy vegetation with abundant and diverse populations of waterbirds, fish and plants.
The action plan includes six projects that work together to improve the ecology, knowledge and management of the Coorong, including:
- implementing ‘no regrets’ on-ground actions to avoid further loss and support the recovery of aquatic plant and waterbird communities in the Coorong.
- undertaking scientific trials and investigations to address critical knowledge gaps relating to water quality, aquatic plant health and nutrient and food web dynamics, so as to inform decisions around longer-term management options.
- optimising and integrating water delivery and management systems that are based on better, real time monitoring data and information.
- investigating the feasibility of long-term infrastructure options to determine which have the potential to provide the greatest ecological benefit to the Coorong.
- partnering with First Peoples to apply their cultural knowledge, values and interests to inform and shape the program and provide employment opportunities to implement projects.
- partnering with communities to draw on local knowledge and experience, build capacity for involvement in project implementation and foster environmental stewardship.
The Healthy Coorong, Healthy Basin action plan was informed by the Coorong Summit Summary Report and the Goyder Expert Panel Report.
Consultation now open
To provide your feedback on the Healthy Coorong, Health Basin action plan visit the YourSAy website
You can let us know what you think by filling in the survey or joining the online discussion.
During October 2019 a series of Project Coorong Community Discussions will be held across the region.
These sessions are a chance to learn more about Project Coorong’s Healthy Coorong, Healthy Basin and Our Coorong | Our Coast programs in particular, and for the community to offer their valuable thoughts, together with others, to shape the work that is being proposed.
Sessions will be held as follows:
- Meningie - Wednesday 9 October 2019 from 2.00 to 5.00 pm
- Meningie Bowling Club, Princes Highway, Meningie
- Goolwa - Thursday 10 October 2019 from 2.00 to 5.00 pm
- Signal Point Gallery, the Wharf, Goolwa
- Robe - Wednesday 16 October 2019 from 2.00 - 5.00 pm
- Robe Bowling Club, 1 Victoria St, Robe
- Salt Creek - Thursday 17 October 2019 from 5.00 to 8.00 pm
- Salt Creek CFS/SA Ambulance building, 11097 Princes Highway, Salt Creek
- Kingston - Friday 18 October 2019 from 2.00 to 5.00 pm
- Kingston Council Chamber, 29 Holland St, Kingston.
- Project Coorong introduction
- Our Coorong | Our Coast project
- Break (catering provided)
- Healthy Coorong, Healthy Basin action plan
- Project Coorong Q&A.
Facilitated by Coorong Tatiara Local Action Plan.
Bookings via Eventbrite. If you have any questions, please email ProjectCoorong@sa.gov.au.
More ways to get involved
- Subscribe to the River Murray Update mailing list to receive information about what’s happening in the Coorong direct to your inbox