Celebrating leaders in climate action – winners announced
The SA Climate Leaders Awards recognise the achievements of individuals and organisations who take action to address climate change in South Australia.
Entries for the 2018 awards were received from many different industries and sectors, including local councils, the building industry, community organisations and more.
Wattle Range Council were awarded a $10,000 prize as the overall winner and winner of the Government category for working with their local community to develop a coastal adaptation strategy for Southend.
Other winners included:
- CORENA - community energy trailblazers, who are making a difference for not-for-profits in accessing renewable energy (Winner Community Category)
- 2XE - an Adelaide-based consulting firm who are helping Australian businesses achieve their ‘net zero carbon’ goals (Winner Business & Industry Category)
- Associate Professor Seth Westra - a leading researcher from the University of Adelaide who is inspiring future leaders in sustainability and climate risk (Winner Individual Category).
Read the case studies for the 2018 winners and finalists.
View videos from the event here.
The Awards are an initiative of the Premier’s Climate Change Council.
Winner: Wattle Range Council
- Regional Development Australia (Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula)
- Goyder Institute for Water Research
- SA Water
- Repower Port Augusta
- Gluepot Reserve, Birds of Australia
- Adelaide Sustainability Centre
Industry and business category
- Australian Green Clean
- Adelaide Airport and CIM Enviro
Winner: A/Professor Seth Westra
- Mark Bachmann
- Manuel Peter Solis
- Heather Smith
A special encouragement award was presented to the Tailem Bend Community Centre in recognition of their volunteer-led, grass roots project delivered within this small regional community.