Prescribed burn at Mount Billy Conservation Park
Date posted: 10 Mar. 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for Mount Billy Conservation Park along Hindmarsh Tiers Road on the Fleurieu Peninsula, on Friday 11 March 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 9:30am and is expected to be complete by 12pm.
- It will affect about 8.8 hectares within the park.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce fuels in a strategic Buffer Zone, designed to reduce the risk of bushfire spreading through the reserve.
- Bandicoot Track may have restricted access throughout the burn operation.
- Hindmarsh Tiers Road may be impacted by smoke.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS as part of the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Co-operative prescribed burn program. Local CFS Volunteers have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.