Prescribed burn at Island Beach
Date posted: 07 Apr 2022
A prescribed burn is planned for private property at Island Beach, on the corner of Island Beach Road and Hog Bay Road, approximately 5 km south-east of the American River township, on Kangaroo Island, on Saturday 9 April 2022, weather conditions permitting.
- The burn will commence at 11 am and is expected to be complete by 8 pm.
- It will affect about 15.8 hectares.
- The objective of the burn is to reduce the bushfire risk to the Island Beach settlement in alignment with the Kangaroo Island CFS Bushfire Management Area Plan.
- Hog Bay Road, Island Beach Road and Mitchell Drive will be impacted by smoke.
- Hog Bay road will have speed restrictions in place with traffic management provided by Kangaroo Island Council.
- Traffic may be restricted to one lane during the burn, subject to weather conditions.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. Local CFS Volunteers have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.