The Mintaro state heritage area is a rare South Australian example of a well-preserved, mid 19th century village.
Located 126km north of Adelaide, Mintaro is a historic town to the east of the Clare Valley's winegrowing region.
Mintaro was established in 1849 as an important stopover on the road between Burra and Port Wakefield. By 1860 Mintaro was also South Australia's leading producer of high quality slate. Stone produced by the Mintaro slate quarry was used locally, as well as in many significant buildings in Adelaide and elsewhere. It was especially prized for billiard tables. The quarry is still operating, with some aspects of production unchanged from the 1860s, and is believed to be the oldest continuously operated quarry in Australia.
Mintaro has changed little since the 19th century and still retains its early-Victorian character. It is associated with the colony's early copper-mining industry, and acted as a service centre for local farms supplying produce to the miners in Burra.
The state heritage area includes the core of the town, the Mintaro slate quarries and sections of land surrounding the township area.