Prescribed burn at Cooltong Conservation Park
Date posted: 26 September 2021
A prescribed burn is planned for the eastern boundary of Cooltong Conservation Park and the adjoining private lands to the north at Cooltong, about 5km west of Renmark and about 5 km north of Berri, in the Riverland and Murraylands Region on Monday 27 September 2021, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start at 11:00 am and should be complete by 6:00 pm.
- The area to be burnt is 178.0 hectares.
- The objective of the burn is to protect private properties in Cooltong, to the east and northeast of Cooltong Conservation Park.
- Parts of Cooltong Conservation Park will be closed to the public.
- No Public Roads are likely to be impacted.
- Some smoke and fire activity may be observed on the day and following the burn and will be patrolled until it is safe.
The burn will be carried out by NPWS. Local CFS and MFS have been invited to attend. A crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
NPWS conducts a statewide program of prescribed burns to reduce the spread and intensity of bushfires, protect communities and enhance biodiversity. Prescribed burning is just one tool used to reduce fuel loads across strategic areas of public and private land.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice if conditions change
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.