Venomous snakes present a considerable risk to public safety, particularly in residential areas. Snake catching services will capture and remove venomous snakes from situations where they threaten public safety. They can also remove other non-venomous reptiles that are causing public concern.
To become a snake catcher you must have a permit. Before being granted a permit you will need to:
- hold a specialist keep and sell permit and be endorsed to keep venomous snakes (category 2) or have held venomous snakes (category 1) species for a minimum of 1 year
- have secure facilities for housing any captured venomous snakes
- have security arrangements in place for the housing and transportation of venomous snakes
- hold a current first aid certificate
- provide documentation for any training in capturing and handling venomous snakes.