The area was first occupied by European settlers in the 1830s. The Mackereth and Hill families cut timber from this land for use in building the city of Adelaide. In 1850, the wheel of a dray wagon broke off pieces of rock which contained copper. Subsequent years saw the area mined for copper and eventually silver. At one time, there were 235 claims pegged along Scott Creek. The Almanda Silver Mining Association was formed in 1868. By the time production was stopped in 1887, the mine had produced 10,000 ounces (310kg) of silver. Today some of the ruins of the old Almanda Mine can be explored from the car park off Dorset Vale Road.
The land at Scott Creek was purchased by the state government in the early 1970s to be managed by the State Planning Authority. In 1985, the area was recognised as an important part of the south Mt Lofty Ranges and adopted as the Scott Creek Conservation Park.