In the first half of the twentieth century, much of Sandy Creek Conservation Park was cleared and planted with vines. Low soil fertility saw the vineyards abandoned and, in 1965, the area was dedicated as a conservation park. Sections were named after life-long ornithologists and conservationists, Cecil Rix and Mark Bonnin, who identified many native bird species in the area. The Sir Keith Wilson section of the park was a gift from the Wilson family and the Nature Foundation of SA Inc., which increased the habitat available for numerous birds.
Today, regenerating cleared land and the ruins of a small hut, built in 1918 from locally quarried stone and native pine, remain in the park. In addition, an abandoned vineyard in the southern section contains grasses that provide important habitat for birds such as the grass-dwelling stubble quail.