SA Water Mediterranean Garden
The SA Water Mediterranean Garden showcases plants from the five Mediterranean climates around the world:
- south-western Australia
- South Africa
- central Chile
- the Mediterranean Basin.
The plants that live in these places are well adapted for Mediterranean climates just like southern South Australia where it's seasonally dry with frequent fire. Many of them have features that enable them to conserve water during dry times and take advantage of the rain when it does fall. As you wander through the garden, you will discover the diversity, resilience and beauty of these plants.
There are three major elements to the garden - a water rill, interpretive spine and geographical drifts - that together tell the stories of Mediterranean plants. From them, you learn about the connections these plants have with people from different cultures and how they can help us live more sustainably in our environment.
The SA Water Mediterranean Garden highlights how careful plant selection and thoughtful garden design can be used to create stunning garden displays that use water wisely and well.
SA Water Mediterranean Garden Audio Guide:
- 1. Welcome
- 2. Water Central (1.7mb mp3) [link 3]
- 3. Why Mediterranean Garden? (1.5mb mp3) [link 4]
- 4. South Africa (1.9mb mp3) [link 5]
- 5. Southwestern Australia (2mb mp3) [link 6]
- 6. Mediterranean Basin (1.6mb mp3) [link 7]
- 7. California (1.7mb mp3) [link 8]
- 8. Chile (2mb mp3) [link 9]
- 9. Fusion (1.9mb mp3) [link 10]
- 10. That's a Wrap (1.7mb mp3) [link 11]
SA Water encourages the sustainable use of water and is the major sponsor of this garden.