Prescribed burn at Ngarkat Conservation Park
Date posted: 18 April 2017
A prescribed burn is planned at Ngarkat Conservation Park in the Murraylands for Wednesday, 19 April 2017, weather conditions permitting.
- The prescribed burn will start around 9am and should be complete by Thursday, 20 April.
- It will affect about 700ha of the section of Ngarkat Conservation Park south-west of Lameroo.
- Restrictions may impact Baan Hill Track, Jimmy's Well Track, Box Flat Track and Mt Rescue Track.
- These tracks may also be impacted by smoke.
- A significant smoke column will be produced during this burn. This is normal for burns of this size.
The burn will be carried out by the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR). The crew will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
The primary objective of this burn is to reduce the potential spread of bushfires in the Ngarkat landscape, particularly the preferred habitat of threatened bird species. It is part of a statewide program of prescribed burning planned to protect communities and assets at risk.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SADEWNR on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEWNR website.